Minneapolis city will be giving George Floyd family a sum of $27 million. George Floyd was murdered by police officers last year. When the footage of how Floyd was murdered surfaced on the internet, it resulted in protests worldwide.
On Friday the Minneapolis City Council announced that it would be awarding $27 million to the George Floyd family. The council voted to approve this money. The former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin who was part of the people responsible for Floyd’s death is now standing trial on murder.
Other officers who were involved in Floyd’s death are faced with abetting and aiding charges. They will all be tried in August. According to CBS Minnesota, the family lawsuit alleged that the ex-officers involved in Floyd’s death violated Floyd’s rights when they tried to restrain him.
According to the family Attorney, Ben Crump, Floyd was murdered because Minneapolis Police Department was bothering him. Mr. Ben maintained that Minneapolis city had failed to train the police and were negligent for not firing such officers.
Chauvin who was responsible for Floyd’s death had several complaints filed against him while he was a police officer. On Friday, the family of Floyd said appreciated the settlement, however, they maintained that nothing could bring back Floyd or heal the pain of his loss.
Mr. Ben said that this settlement is very important. He thanked the leaders of Minneapolis city. According to Ben, this settlement makes it known that Black people can’t be killed unjustly and if any of such happens, it wouldn’t be written off.
The family of George Floyd and our legal team are very grateful to Mayor Frey and the city council for not just saying you care about George Floyd, but showing that you care about George Floyd — not just saying that black lives matter, but showing the world that black lives matter.Crump