An Alabama family has their four-year-old Great Dane Ralph to thank for their lives. He saved them from a nighttime house fire that could have easily been fatal were it not for Ralph’s ‘sounding the alarm’.
Ralph “doesn’t usually make a sound at night” according to Derek Walker, his owner, who lived in the Birmingham rental home with his wife and two children. So when he heard a different sounding bark than he’s ever heard before on Tuesday night, he had to investigate.
Sure enough, outside the kitchen window of their rental home was a fire. Derek Walker screamed ‘fire’ to wake everyone up.
Mrs. Walker got up and got their daughter out, then went back to get their son – who was fast asleep in his bedroom, which was full of smoke. According to Walker, “The fire was right outside his wall.”
Walker went back into the home to get Ralph from his kennel, as well as to rescue the family’s two miniature pigs. Unfortunately, the only one who didn’t make it out alive was one of the pigs, Pearl.
The fire was bad and the home sustained heavy damage. What’s more, most of the family’s belongings were destroyed. But things could have been far worse. As Walker says, “Without Ralph, I don’t think we would have made it.”
According to fire officials, the fire started from a grill and spread to the Walker home.